Therapies for Health & Well-Being
Natural remedies and holistic therapies can be a highly effective way to decrease anxiety or tension, increase feelings of vitality, calm an overactive mind, gain insight into patterns of behaviour, and control physical symptoms. When used as a regular part of your health regime, therapies can provide significant improvements in your overall wellness.
Holism: Natural health therapies are usually based upon principles of well-being which have a basis in holism: They incorporate the psychological, social, physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of a person, and how these impact wellness. This contrasts with Western methods of healthcare which are primarily based upon physicality, with a focus on biochemical measurements and externally verifiable criteria. Within holistic health approaches, subjective personal experience is of primary importance in establishing levels of wellness and vitality. This includes energy levels, emotions, thoughts and feelings - aspects of experience which cannot be accurately measured by external means.
Spirituality: Many natural therapies also contain an element of spiritual experience, and aim to increase levels of life force energy, sometimes also known as chi, ki, or prana, according to cultural background. Holism embraces both the connection between a person and the world they live in, and the connection to the ultimate nature of reality. Spiritual principles underlie most holistic therapies which usually focus on restoring life force energy within a person. This can be done either by physical manipulation of tissues and muscles, as in massage-based therapies, or by more subtle therapies like Reiki or spiritual healing.
Healing: The body's own healing abilities form a central part of many holistic and natural therapies. It is is important to recognise that the term healing, as used in this context, refers to a restoration of functioning in the individual concerned. Because holistic therapies consider the experience of the person as having paramount importance, the term healing includes positive changes in feelings and emotions within the person. This is different to the use of the term in Western medicine where healing refers to a cure based on externally verifiable changes.
So, holistic and natural therapies aim to improve multiple aspects of a person's experience through changing things which impact their mental, physical, spiritual and emotional health. To do this, they must cover a wide range of aspects of wellness, including: releasing physical and energetic stress, nutrition and digestion, healthy relationships, communication skills, physical and mental health, developing emotional mastery..all the way through to resolving existential issues.
- Sees the individual health as containing psychological, physical, spiritual, social and emotional components
- Based on worldview of idealism - where the physical body is believed to arise within a unified field of consciousness
- Primary focus on subjective experience
- The organism is viewed as unified being, and is influenced by their connection to a wider existence
- Usually segregates into specialisms which deal with one aspect of wellness (eg psychiatry, endocrinology, neurology)
- Based on physicality or materialism - where you are born as a physical body and cease to exist on death
- Prioritises scientific, externally validated experience
- Dualism is the norm: where mind and body are viewed as separate substances
Natural Remedies and Therapies
- Massage: Manipulation of soft tissues of the body. Gentle massage for relaxation. Or deep tissue, sports, or remedial massage for muscular pain relief
- Reflexology: An acupressure technique, usually used on feet or hands, which releases energetic blocks, and promotes self healing within the body.
- Yoga: A spiritual tradition which teaches control of mind and body. In Western culture, yoga is often associated with postures, breath work and stretching.
- Reiki or Spiritual Healing: A non-invasive therapy which re balances life force energy and release blocks from the auric field.
- Bach Flower Remedies: Infusions of plants and herbs, used to treat mental and emotional problems, which often precede physical ailments
- Chiropractic: Manipulation of the joints of the body, usually the spine, to re align function of nerves, and to release build up of stress or tension
- Psychotherapy: Talking therapy which identifies patterns within the mind, and how they relate to current behaviours
- Acupuncture: An ancient Chinese therapy which uses fine needles to release blocks in meridians, or energy channels, within the body
- Nutritional Therapy: Use of dietary intervention and supplements as a form of healing , often used for chronic health conditions
- Counselling: Supportive talking-based therapy which facilitates expression of feelings, emotions, and difficulties, to promote healing
- Homeopathy: Remedy-based treatment which is based upon concept of treating 'like with like'. Uses minute amounts of substance within healing tincture
- Bowen Technique: Gentle manipulation of tissues which stimulates body energy flow and encourages self healing
- Coaching: Therapy which encourages action-based change and practical life skills to create improvement in life, health, work or relationships
- Kinesiology: Preventative therapy which tests muscles for weakness due to chemical, physical, emotional, mental imbalances
- Meditation or mindfulness: Focus on the activity of the mind and body. Often used to calm the mind, promote relaxation, and gain self awareness
Living according to holistic principles can be a lifelong journey. It's a process of exploring every aspect of your life and learning how to live it to the best of your ability. Aligning with your highest personal and spiritual values.
The process is different for everyone, and varies according to your own goals, visions, and life purpose. But whatever your aims, integrating regular holistic and natural therapies into your life can help you to feel more emotionally balanced, to release stress more easily, and to remain in an overall state of greater relaxation. This has an impact on your health; helping you to feel calm, more in control, and able to develop a greater appreciation of life.
In the near future I will be adding some online courses here so that you can learn how to use therapies at home. Simply sign up to the Enlightened Health Blog (on the welcome page) to receive notifications and discounts as they become available.
If you want to receive one-to-one guidance about using holistic therapies at home, then here are a few of the areas I can help you with in a consultation:
- Relieving muscular pain, tension or fibromyalgia pain
- Reducing stress and related-symptoms
- Learning to thrive as a HSP, intuitive or empath
- Overcoming trauma and adversity
- Improving digestive health, nutrition, and use of dietary supplements for symptom control
- How to reduce back, neck and shoulder pain
- Reducing inflammatory disorders
- Management of chronic fatigue and autoimmune conditions
- Emotional health: dealing with difficult emotions (eg fear, panic, anxiety, trauma, grief)
- Understanding the nature of the mind, thoughts and consciousness
- Aligning with your life purpose
- Spiritual and personal development
- How to use therapies for self-improvement of symptoms at home: mindfulness, meditation, aromatherapy, massage, acupressure, reflexology
Tips for Choosing a Practitioner:
- Ask about relevant qualifications, and the duration of their studies
- Check if they are a member of a professional organisation
- All reputable practitioners should be fully insured and be able to provide an insurance certificate
- Ask about what professional and personal experience they have
- If you have a complex or chronic condition, make sure you see a specialist who has plenty of experience
- Do they provide a step-by-step plan for improving your health and well-being?
Join Enlightened Health
You can sign up to receive free blog posts at the bottom of this page. Some benefits of signing up include:
- Receive tips and information about how to integrate holistic well-being into your life
- Email notification when new online courses become available
- Practical advice on natural remedies, holistic therapies, mindfulness, spiritual development and lots more
- Keep yourself motivated to improve the well-being of your mind, body and soul
- Receive discounts and special offers for coaching and online courses, and receive notification as new items become available
Book a Clarity Consultation
If you are struggling with your health, and are not sure which type of therapy would be most suited for you, why not book in for a clarity call? It's a 30 minute introductory session where you can discuss your current circumstances, symptoms and concerns. In this session, you will receive guidance for the most suitable type of therapy for you, plus insight on the next steps to take. It's perfect for those times when you want make some progress but feel unsure about what to do next. Contact me by email if you would like to book in.